Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A Date!

There are so many characters out there! I have been people watching in different spots all week. Only problem is, I have created so many characters to use for my novel that I don't know how to fit them together in some sort of cohesive narrative!
Also, I have been telling the truth a lot more! Seeing so many strange people has given me a new sense of reality. Everyone has some sort of background that has made them the way they are. This process of character creation has helped me far beyond any session in a therapist office.
Things have been going so well that I met even met a guy! On Monday afternoon I decided to ride the Red Line around and observe the passengers. My story needs a young male character to be the bird lady's estranged son. I thought that I'd find inspiration on the commuter rail but instead, I found a date! Around 2 pm, the train stopped at South Station and an attractive guy about my age bustled into my car. He was wearing dark wash jeans and a blue and grey striped button down shirt. As he walked toward me, I could feel my cheeks growing redder and redder. I've always been so shy. I looked at the ground trying not to let him see my blushed cheeks when all of a sudden he sat down beside me! I took a deep breath in through my nose and out through my mouth then decided to suck it up and introduce myself. As soon as I told him my name (I usually feel the need to make up a ridiculous name...), I could feel my whole body relax and a smiled crept across my face. He returned my greeting and told me his name was Danny. Long story short...we talked all the way until he got off at his stop about 15 minutes later and made plans to get dinner on Thursday night! There is only one slight problem...I told him that I lived in Harvard to explain why I was on the Red Line. I'll figure that out later...
I'll post later with updates on my date and my novel! I can't even remember the last time I went on a real date!


-L

2 comments:

  1. Hmm... Human contact. Must be nice. (Feel free to comment back, as I would love to talk to someone).

    -Blake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the past, I've avoided human contact by inventing aliases and it's truly refreshing to drop the act. I am constantly struggling to allow myself to be vulnerable because I fear that I won't be good enough. However, I'm learning to accept myself for who I am.
      My advice, go out and meet people! Hypocritical advice but it is serving me well so far.

      Delete