Thursday, March 8, 2012

A Visit from Mom

I love when my mother comes into town but it's never just to visit and catch up! She always has some master plan. She is the master manipulator...of EVERYONE. The worst part is, no one can see it. Not even my own father! Either that, or he just ignores it.

Since I started seriously working on my novel, my mother has called me every single day just to, "say hello!" Before last month, she would probably call me once every two weeks to make sure I still enjoyed my desk job. I'm sure quitting my job was the LAST thing she wanted to hear.
I understand a mothers concern but I wish she would just let me do my own thing.

Anyway, she surprised me with a visit on Monday afternoon and is still here...
I keep hearing about Martha's daughter Amanda who just got accepted to law school and Audrey's niece who got promoted...and blah, blah, blah...Nancy's grandson, cousin Jess, etc. It's like she wants to tell me how successful every single other person my age is while I am just at a total standstill. Every time I try to talk about my novel, she rolls her eyes and changes the topic or says something like, "oh yeah, yeah...sounds nice."

I guess her visit isn't all bad though. We had a nice lunch at an outdoor cafe the other afternoon and she took me shopping on Newbury St. Not to mention, the weather has been beautiful in Boston! Last night, I brought her to a small bar and introduced her to a few of my friends from work. That was kind of fun. She had a few drinks and that loosened her up a bit. I think she needed that extra glass of wine to cope with the fact that Brian has his nose pierced and Molly has a tattoo of a footprint on her wrist. As I made her pancakes this morning in my tiny apartment she said, "Gee, I just don't understand why such attractive young people would litter themselves with tattoos and piercings like that."

Needless to say, I haven't gotten any writing done this week. Another wash of a week. Maybe she'll come around. If she doesn't I really hope I prove her wrong and actually finish this project.

She says that she is leaving tomorrow. We'll see if that happens. Next thing I know, she will be moving into the apartment next door.

-L

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel. I love my mother but she can really be a pain in my butt sometimes. Its like everything I do she has to correct or tell me to cut it out. Its infuriating. I don't tell her when shes being a complete moron and acting childish-even though I want to. It's hard when I see her doing silly things, only because I love her so much.

    ReplyDelete